UNM & CNM's App Contest
$$$ With Thousands of Dollars in Prizes $$$
The Office of the Chief Information Officer at the University of New Mexico (UNM) is sponsoring its annual App Contest, providing an opportunity for undergraduate students from UNM and Central New Mexico Community College (CNM) to develop and apply app design and presentation skills to plan useful applications for the community.
1st place $5,000
2nd Place $2500
3rd Place $1000
This year's contest focuses on developing a plan and a pitch. Develop an idea and form a team to build a "high fidelity" prototype and design. Your submission will be your proposal and road map for further coding and development.
General Contest Overview
- Register to participate and receive updates.
- UNM Meetup at Rainforest, 9/27/23, 3 pm to 6 pm.
- Adobe Prototype Zoom Session, 10/5/23, 12 pm to 4 pm. Must be registered to receive meeting information.
- CNM Meetup at STEM Center, 10/19/23, 3 pm to 6 pm.
- Must register no later than 10/31/23 to participate in this year’s contest.
- Develop your idea, form a team.
- Build a prototype, test, review, plan, repeat.
- Check In, periodic question/answer, virtual workshops/meet-ups.
- Submit Adobe XD/Figma plan, diagrams, documentation.
- Finalize documents for submission.
- Prepare a compelling presentation
- Meet with mentors team to refine your pitch, and review your video.
- Attend the Presentation Day and Awards Ceremony.
UNM and CNM faculty and staff, along with experienced mentors will provide support to these projects through workshops and mentorship. UNM, CNM, and the City of Albuquerque have invested in open data sets which are available to make the apps more useful. Data sets include: UNM events, class schedule data, campus locations, Route 66 images, bike paths, list of local businesses, and more.
Through this effort, we hope to inspire students to develop skills in concept, planning, design, development, collaboration, and presentation skills which are increasingly valuable in our information economy, and to yield apps that can improve an experience for our students and beyond.