UNM & CNM's Mobile App Contest
(2020 — 2021)
The Office of the Chief Information Officer at the University of New Mexico (UNM) is sponsoring its eighth-annual Mobile App Contest, providing an opportunity for students from UNM and Central New Mexico Community College (CNM) to develop and apply coding skills to make useful mobile applications for the community.
A coding challenge for students currently enrolled in UNM or CNM, the Mobile Apps Contest is designed to encourage innovation in higher education through the creation of Mobile Applications, which function to positively impact the surrounding community.
General Contest Overview
- Sign Up to participate and receive updates.
- Develop your idea, form a team.
- Code, test, review, plan, repeat.
- Check In, periodic question/answer, virtual workshops/meet-ups.
- Submit Adobe XD plan for extra credit.
- Finalize documents for submission.
- Submit final project.
- Record a video of your demo.
- Finalists Meet with the IT team to refine your pitch, and review your video.
- Attend the Virtual Presentation Day and Awards Ceremony.
UNM and CNM faculty and staff will provide support to these coding efforts through virtual workshops and mentors. UNM and the City of Albuquerque have invested in open data sets which are available to enrich the coding experience and make the apps more useful to users. Data sets available include UNM events, class schedule data, campus locations, Route 66 images, bike paths, list of local businesses, and more.
Through this effort, UNM and CNM hope to inspire students to develop coding skills which are increasingly valuable in our information economy, and to yield apps that can improve the experience of our students.